Thursday 29 July 2010

Project Runway- My Favorite Show With A Twist

Today, I went on Lifetime's website to check out my favorite show, "Project Runway". It premieres tonight in the States at 9pm. I started checking out all of the designers and there were quite a few that I liked, but the thing that I liked most were the 50 or so questions that they asked them. I thought it would be a fun entry to answer the questions myself:

1- What was the first garment you ever made?

The first garment I ever made was a white stretch gown for a drag show when I was a teenager. Everyone loved it, but the gown was pretty simple.

2-What is your music of choice when designing?

It usually depends on what I'm making but usually it's any glam rock (David Bowie, Gary Glitter, Poison, Motley Crue) or house music (Peter Rauhofer, Junior Vasquez, Hex hector, Victor Calderone).

3-When did you realize that you had designer potential?

When I made a jacket after that without any formal training and it fit and held up well.

4-Favorite designers?

I have quite a few favorite designers for different reasons:
Halston and Yves Saint Laurent because they made glamour simple and workable, yet kept a high fashion edge.
John Galliano, Alexander McQueen and Jean Paul Gaultier because they inspire the fantasy in fashion that I love.
Valentino and Giorgio Armani because they were all about clean lines and classic tailoring.

5-Current Occupation?

Fashion Designer/Costume Designer

6-Can you describe past jobs you've had?

Fashion Retail Sales Associate, Visual Merchandiser, Dance Music Buyer for Virgin Megastore and other jobs that i prefer not to comment on.

7-What is a fashion must?

A great jacket that works with everything, a great skirt that fits, a great pant that fits and an amazing shoe that stands out. Keep it simple and turn it out with attitude, because that the first thing we notice, before we see what you're wearing. Own and be comfortable in what you wear.

8-What is your design training?

I did some design school training as well as learning how to sew from my godmother.

9-What are your strengths as a designer?

If left to my own devices, I can get crazy and pull in different influences.

10-What are your weaknesses as a designer?

Depends on the situation, but usually editing down the ideas. I'm also not the best sketch artist in the world.

11-What's influenced your designs over the years?

Lots of things, like what the trends are, what I've seen from the past and what interests me now.

12-What's your favorite material or fabric to work with?

Cottons and satins. I like a little structure sometimes...lol.

13-What's the item you're most proud of designing?

I would say that white stretch gown because it got me started on this path.

14-Do you prefer sketching or draping?

I'm not the best sketch artist, but I prefer sketching, because I can see what it will look like and I can translate that to the draping.

15-Do you prefer patterns or solids?

It usually depends on what I'm making, but I won't shy away from a pattern.

16-What are your favorite colors?

Anything wild, like pinks, reds, blues and greens. I like colors that pop.

17-What is your biggest fear as a designer?

That my clothes can be too wild for some people.

18-What fashion faux pas drive you crazy?

Socks with sandals, pants hanging off the ass, not knowing the concept of fit on your body type.... Those just come to mind at the moment. I'm sure there are more.

19-What is the ugliest thing you have ever worn?

I try not to wear ugly things, but one thing comes to mind is these brown suede shoes my mom bought me in junior high school. I hated them.

20-Who are your favorite style icons?

I love people who take chances with fashion like Lady Gaga, Grace Jones, Rupaul and Bjork. You sometimes don't love everything they wear, but you see that they think outside the box.

21-How would you dress First Lady Michelle Obama?

I would do everything very classic with clean lines for her, but give her a bold color to work with. The dress would be without sleeves, fitted and to the knee with a short sleeve bolero in a bold print and a fierce heel. Gotta get her out of those Granny heels she wears.

22-What celebrity would you like to design for?

I would like to design for someone with a bold personality and is willing to have fun with what she wears like Lil Kim, Nikki Minaj, Christina Aguilera, Jody Watley or Lady Gaga. If Grace Jones called right now, she would have me for life!!!!

23-Who is your supermodel muse?

Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista, Karen Elson, Alex Wek, Chanel Iman, Iman, Kate Moss, Stacy McKenzie. I'm all about a model with personality and an interesting look.

24-What do you look for in a model?

Refer to Question 23.

25-If you had to name your label, you'd call it.....

Eric Farr Inc.

26-If you weren't designing, you'd be....

Designing costumes, acting, singing or writing.

27-Dream place to set up your design business?

Berlin, Germany or New York, New York.

28-Websites that feature your work, including your own site?

Right now, it's just Facebook, but keep your eyes open, I'm working on creating a site.

29-Any other cultures or places you wish you could design for?

Tokyo, Japan or London, England.

30-How were you described as a kid?

Creative, colorful, crazy.

31-How are you described now?

The same, but crazier!!

32-Can you describe your family?

Black, Southern Baptist and conservative. I'm the only oddball in the family.

33-Do you have any pets?

None at the moment.

34-Do you have any nicknames?

E-Boogie, E-Dawg, or E-Man. I have others, but they're all person specific.

35-Why are you (or aren't you) easy to live with?

I'm pretty cool to live with, but I can be too specific in how I want things done.

36-What's your favorite hangout back home?

Either my old bedroom in my family's place or The Eagle.

37-What are your hobbies besides designing?

I read and i draw. I also watch a lot of TV.

38-What are your favorite movies?

The Fifth Element, Velvet Goldmine, Tropic Thunder, Zoolander.

39-What are your favorite TV shows?

Project Runway, The Fashion Show, anything on the BBC.

40-What are your favorite books and authors?

Anything by Bret Easton Ellis, Chuck Palahniuk, or John Grisham.

41-Iphone, Android, or Blackberry?

I have a Blackberry, but I wanna try out an Android.

42-Fast food or Gourmet?

Fast Food. I'm not the best cook.

43-Cooking or Take Out?

Take Out. Again, I'm not the best cook.

44-Favorite food?

In Germany, it's currywurst and fries. In Finland, it's Hess Burger. In New York, it's a bacon cheeseburger deluxe from a diner or Ray Pizza!!

45-Beer or Wine?

Depends on what I'm eating, but I'm all about a good beer.

46-Biggest Pet Peeve?

People who complain about a situation, but do not do anything to change it or work with it.

47-Who was you favorite past Project Runway designer?

Santino, Jeffrey, Seth, Suede and Emilio because they spoke their minds and did their own thing.

48-Project Runway challenge you hope they bring back for your season?

Definetely the drag queen challenge or the avant garde challenge.

49-Project Runway Challenge you hope they don't bring back?

The produce or food challenge.

50-Your take on team challenges?

They're pretty cool, cause you see how your competition works and you can get the jump on what skills they don't have, but they can get the jump on what skills you don't have.

51-How did you end up auditioning for Project Runway?

I saw an ad on one of the many bus stations in New York and finally got to it. Also, my friends wouldn't let me sleep unless I did it.

52-Why are you gonna win?

I'll win because I'll take every challenge with an even head and use it as a learning experience. Also because, I'll never let them see me sweat.


These questions are interesting, but looking at some of the answers from a lot of the contestants, I would have pushed the envelope a little more. I'm sure I could have pushed the envelope as well. We'll see what the season holds. I'll be watching, like all of you and seeing what works and what doesn't. Maybe I'll make a trip to New York and audition again. Who knows?

Stay fashionable!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment