Monday 8 August 2011

Fashion and The Economy- A Designer's View


As I sit and try to figure out the logic behind the current budget package and seeing where the economy is going, I'm trying to see what it means fashion wise. I'm mostly trying to see what is selling and how can I make money in this economy. Many fashion magazines will tell you that you should have an investment piece (something that you spend a lot of money on, like a Burberry trench coat or a shearling coat by Andrew Marc) and mix it with your midrange (Zara, Ann Taylor, Jones New York, Topshop/Topman) or lower range pieces (H&M, Forever 21, Strawberry, Joyce Leslie), and that is a good idea, although I think it's something that everyone does already.

Right now the U.S. stock market has ended it's day at the lowest that it has been in years. Tomorrow I'll find out about Europe's market and on Wednesday, the Asian market. As a struggling, beginning designer how does all of this affect what I do and how do I stay true to myself (being edgy with some conservative pieces) and also make money to sustain my business in this economic down turn.

I wanted to take some time and work on a website, where you can see and purchase my clothes, but there isn't much time. Nonetheless, I have a plan.

My plan is to go through my sketchbook and pick out five dresses that can work in any color combination and within the five pieces, have a couple of silohuettes and sew them like crazy. I would do as many as I can and put them on Facebook, Ebay and Amazon.com. I would do this to get my name out there and to generate some income to keep the business going. Since we're coming into the fall season and the holiday season, the dresses will be party dresses. As I do them, I will post them on Facebook and on my blog. I may also do some one off pieces as well. Now is as good a time as any to get this started.

If time allows, I will also offer up my services to custom make things. Keep in mind that they may take a little longer and I may need you to do your own measurements (I will tell you how to do them), unless you're in Berlin (or anywhere I am), then I can take them for you.

As for menswear, there may be some one off pieces popping up as well. I will devote a few entries to menswear, but right now my focus is womenswear.

This is just a plan that I have been tossing around in my head for the past couple of hours and I'm still trying to work out all the details on paper, but I think with more suggestions I can make this work and finally get my line off of the ground.

Let me know what you think!!!!!!

Stay fashionable and sexy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment