Tuesday 15 January 2013

Golden Globes 2013- The Award Season Begins!!!!

Well, here we are!!! Happy New Year to one and all!!!! We are kicking off the award season right now!!!! This is the time of year where most designers get the most free press, stylists are working overtime to get their clients on the best dressed lists, sometimes over doing their clients, makeup artists are pulling out all of their tricks, and the people at home can marvel in the pomp and circumstance of it all. Some hit the nail on the head. Some miss the boat entirely. I'll be talking about a few of my favorites and a few of my not so favorites. I'll also take in some ideas and work them into my own designs. Let's get it started!!!! First up is Jennifer Lawrence (The Hunger Games, Silver Linings Playbook) in a gorgeous red Dior Haute Couture gown. Very classic and perfect for her. It's a very simple ball gown with a few details, and in this case, simple is best. Her makeup is also understated, so she doesn't look overpowered by it all and she keeps it young and glamourous.
Next is my favorite look of the night. Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables) KILLS it in a white, strapless Chanel gown. With her short haircut, and understated makeup and jewelry, she hits the nail on the head in this look. She looks young and fresh and still the newlywed. This is a look that can speak volumes.
Another one of my favorite looks is Kate Hudson in Alexander McQueen. This gown is sexy, yet covered up. It's bold and doesn't need jewelry. This is a gown for a femme fatale, because all eyes are on her when she walks into a room. Reminds me of the Klymaxx song, "The Men All Pause" because when you see her, you have to stop and take a breath.
This look I liked a lot. It's Jennifer Lopez in a gown by Zuhair Murad. Also very sexy, yet very covered up. She has the killer curves to pull this off. It's a dress that would catch your eye, because it's pretty, yet sexy.
The last look I liked a lot was Lea Michele (Glee). I call her the Barbra Streisand of the show. This girl has a powerful voice!!! She can sing pretty much anything and I would like it. She wore a gown by Elie Saab. Very old school glamour (long train, high split), but serving it up for the younger generation and keeping it classy.
These next looks are looks that I'm on the fence about. There are elements that I like, but the overall look doesn't work for me. The first look that I will speak about is Sienna Miller (The Girl). Amazing actress and very beautiful woman. She was in a gown by Erdem. Her hair and makeup were amazing, however I wasn't much of a fan of the dress. If it were shorter, I would have liked it because it would be a day dress, which is what it screamed to me as I watched it. The dress also made her look old. Older is good sometimes, but this time it wasn't.
The second look that I'm on the fence about is Katherine McPhee (Smash) in Theysken's Theory. Love love love the dress!!! it's a great take on a Japanese kimono, however her hair looks like an afterthought. It looks like she rushed to get it together. A more pulled together bun would have pulled this all the way to the top.
The third look I'm on the fence about is Sarah Hyland (Modern Family). The gown isn't bad. It's by Max Azaria, but the look is like second string Pussycat Doll. She's a gorgeous girl, but not as glam as she can be. I would have gone with a sleek bun to show off her face and ditch the stripper hairstyle.
The fourth look I was on the fence about was Ariel Winter (Modern Family) in a dress by Valentino. I love love love the dress and she is a gorgeous young lady, but this dress just screamed "The Ladies Who Lunch". Love the color, love the style, but I just saw nothing but a Republican luncheon with Ann Romney in this dress and on the campaign trail with Mitt. I would have opted for the hair down and another dress that was less daytime and more evening.
The last look that I was on the fence about is Halle Berry (Cloud Atlas) in a gown by Versace. LOVE love love the gown!!! Her body is AMAZING, but prints don't do really well on the red carpet and the gown was more for the MTV Video Music Awards, the American Music Awards, The Brit Awards or the Grammy Awards than for the Golden Globes.
Now these next looks I didn't like at all. I'm sure some of these will end up on the best dressed lists or the worst dressed lists but none of these looks did anything for me, nor for the person wearing them. The first look that I didn't like was Lucy Liu in Carolina Herrera. Lucy is usually hit or miss on the red carpet. This gown is a total miss. It looks like she snatched her grandmother's drapes, stitched them together and wore it. I was half expecting the curtain rod to be stuck in it. Amazing actress, but hated the look.
The second look I really didn't like was Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory). It's cool to be a quirky girl and I love quirky girls, but this dress looks like something that your Jewish Aunt Sylvia would wear to your wedding. She is a beautiful woman, but this dress made her look so old.
The next look is courtesy of Lena Dunham (Girls) in Zac Posen. Zac is one of my favorite designers and I usually love everything he does, but this particular dress looks like it was done in neoprene (thick matte rubber, like a wetsuit). It looks heavy and does nothing for Lena. I love her beautiful personality and her awesome hipster vibe, especially the tattoo on her back, but the dress was HORRIBLE!!!
This look is courtesy of Claire Danes (Homeland) in Versace. Love love love the gown and it fit her quite well, but she looked like she was drinking all night. I know that she just had a baby boy (Congratulations!!!), but this is an award ceremony, pull it together!!!!
The last look that I didn't like was Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty, Tree Of Life) in Calvin Klein. Jessica is an AMAZING actress and a very beautiful woman (I have a soft spot for redheads), but this dress looked like it didn't fit. There was so much room in the bodice, that if she bent over and got back up, there would be a wardrobe malfunction. Loved the color on her and I love Calvin Klein, but this dress wasn't for her.
I had a great time watching the Golden Globes (it came on at 2am here in Berlin) and it was fun seeing Tina Fey and Amy Poehler hosting the show. Loved Ben Affleck and I'm so glad he got two Golden Globes for "Argo". I also had fun seeing all of the fashions and taking down ideas here and there to put into a couple of my own designs. I'm working hard to get one or a few of my gowns (I need to make more of them, though) on a few nominated actresses for the next awards season (early next year). I know that some of these you may agree with me and some you may not. I'd love to have an honest debate about these things and get your thoughts as well. You may see something that I may not see, so let's see if you can bring me around. Like always stay fashionable and sexy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment