Saturday 23 July 2011

Walter Van Beirendonck- A Fan's View

I am a fan of many designers. I love Valentino for his glamour. I love Giorgio Armani for his sleek and clean lines. I love Dolce & Gabbana and D Squared for their sleek Italian tailoring and sexy edge. I love Vivienne Westwood for combining her punk edge and her love of art history, but there is one designer that always injects so much fun, humor and caring for the AIDS cause into his clothes (by sewing a re stitch throughout his designs). Every time I see any of his collections, either on line, in magazines, or in stores, I am always surprised and amazed. He always manages to take it somewhere I have never expected. His name is Walter Van Beirendonck.



Walter Van Beirendonck was born in Brecht, Belgium on April 2, 1957. He studied fashion at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp, Belgium (another place I would like to visit). He is part of the legendary "Antwerp Six" which includes Dirk Van Saene, Dries Van Noten, Dirk Bikkembergs, Ann Demeulemeester, and Marina Yee. His influences were always art and music and his first big break was during London Fashion Week in 1987 with the "Antwerp Six".







When I look at his clothes, I see the sense of humor that he has and the bold use of color in his prints. I used to shy away from prints because I was never sure how to make them work, but after seeing what he does, I try to inject at least a little of his influence into my own designs as well as the sense of fun I have from my club kid days. I love that he and I can be somewhat unconventional. he can see a pattern and create something that may be out of this world, but makes sense in my world.






I also wanna take a moment to say a little prayer for Amy Winehouse, who passed way earlier today. She was 27 years old. Amy, rest in peace. You have lit up the world with your music and you've had to deal with your demons publicly. I hope that you went without pain to sing in the heavens. Love you lots, Amy!!!!


Stay fashionable and sexy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment